Leslie R Tipping Limited is a family run and privately-owned business who consistently deliver quality, service and expertise and has done through 3 generations.
We are one of the UK's largest coffin interior manufacturers and a leading funeral requisite supplier to the funeral industry and we are proud of our enviable reputation for providing Funeral Directors products and service at the highest standards since 1947.
Together with our associated company H.O. Rawcliffe Ltd, we are fully equipped to offer a one-stop shop for funeral directors with a huge range of high quality, competitively priced products.
Our web site showcases our whole product list and if you register, you can view prices and place orders online. Should you not be able to find what you want out of our range of over 2000 products, please give us a call and we will be pleased to advise you.
The photograph on the right shows some of the key people involved in the business. From left to right - Peter Tipping, James Tipping, Margaret Tipping.
A Potted History
- The business was established in 1947 by Leslie Tipping.
- Still a strong family presence remains today including 2 of Leslie's grandchildren.
- The business started in a small shop in Stockport where the family would make the shrouds that Leslie sold to local funeral directors.
- Leslie sadly died in 1958 leaving his wife Dorice and children Peter and Jean behind. Peter, only 15 took up the reigns of the business immediately.
- Challenging times were ahead with none of the family being able to drive. However, whilst his mother and sister sewed the shrouds that Peter had cut the previous evening, he employed the services of local milkmen to transport him around in the small van he owned in order to deliver goods and meet customers. The business started to grow and thrive.
- Peter married Margaret Johnson of Derbyshire in 1966 and she immediately joined the business running admin and accounts and preparing shrouds ready for the sewing machinists.
- The business continued to grow and develop through the remainder of the 60's and 70's.
- The 1980's was a time of rapid growth for the business and with the acquisition of 2 companies in 1981 Leslie R Tipping Ltd expanded its product range and coverage throughout the UK.
- One of the businesses acquired was H. O. Rawcliffe Ltd a successful supplier of coffin lining products to funeral directors across the country. H.O. Rawcliffe Ltd still trades as a company in its own right within the group.
- Agents were employed across the UK to assist with the expansion of the business nationwide whilst still providing the personal service that Peter insisted on.
- Continuing to expand, Leslie R. Tipping Limited moved into a purpose built factory in the early 90's close to the centre of Stockport and the motorway network.
- In 1993, Peter's eldest daughter Anita joined the company as an Office Administrator. Anita was the first of the third generation to join the business.
- In 1994, Peter acquired a competitor in East Yorkshire - Funeral Fabrics which gave the business a substantial platform from its new 25,000 sq ft factory to cope with existing and growing demand for coffin interior products.
- Funeral Fabrics received significant investment with new state of the art machinery and was renamed Fabrics UK Ltd.
- 1994 saw the acquisition of Excellbee Services Ltd who provided a mobile fully stocked van service to funeral directors in the northwest. This spurred the company to begin to expand its product range as it recognised the changing needs and demands of the market.
- In 1996 Peter's son James joined the business after successfully completing a BA Honours degree in Accountancy. With James' financial knowledge plus the textile experience of the Fabrics UK workforce the business was revolutionised.
- In 2005 James took over the day-to-day running of the business from Peter. Now at the helm James is well placed to drive the business further forward and continue to provide quality products and excellent service to the funeral trade. Peter and Margaret are still very much involved in the business passing on their valuable knowledge and giving support to the company's employees.
- In 2006 the company moved into larger premises where it is today to accommodate growing sales and a wider product range.
- James has increased the range offered by the group to over 2000 products making Leslie R. Tipping a one stop supplier to funeral directors in the UK.
- The third generation family members are proud to be associated with what has already been accomplished and feel a strong sense of responsibility in their stewardship in guiding the company successfully through to the next generation.